Wednesday, May 17, 2006

United 93 Movie Came Too Soon

United 93

I’m hesitating to see this movie. I’m undecided on whether I should see it at all. It feels too much like I’m buying the tragedy. Like I’m making it easier for backstabbing business to profit off other people’s suffering, including my own. I don’t know if I want to see this movie.

For those who don’t know. United Airlines Flight 93 was the fourth hijacked airplane that was attempting to crash into The White House. The passengers rose up and, according to reports, caused the plane to instead crash into an open field. There were no survivors.

I think it’s too soon. Vietnam movies didn’t start being made until as much as 20 years after the war. There’s a war still going on right now, and we’re already making movies about it? Regardless of what we like to think, no, we really don’t have all the facts, we don’t know how things are going to be in 3-5 years, and any media produced in that time just has a queasy feeling to it. It seems like propaganda.

What about the theory that it was shot down? I mean it was headed for the White House, it's government policy to shoot anything that’s a threat to the Head of State. It would make sense. Supposedly the passengers rose up and neutralized the threat of a suicide bomber, but never made it into the cockpit. How did they bring down the plane then? Then again, the hijacker pilot could be heard chanting a prayer as the plane was going down. I’ll bet conspiracy theorists are salivating over this. I just don’t know.

September 11th has touched my family as well. The window washer of the 2nd Tower was a long time classmate of my father’s, they escaped Communist Albania when they were kids. Time did a piece on him, I forget his name off the top of my head. He was apparently in the process of taking people down in his carriage when the Towers fell. He never made it down.

It just doesn’t feel right. It feels too soon. It makes me angry thinking that this happened. It summons enormous rage at those involved. What keeps me sane is that I still have faith in my country, that we will do the right thing, that even if we’re bending our own morals almost backwards, we will make things right. Moussaoui, don’t worry, he’s not going to a Maximum Security prison in Iowa, we all know where he’s going…He’s headed to Guantanamo where he’ll have a lot more hell than the laws of our country will allow. We’ll turn a blind eye though, just this time.

My only qualm with United 93...I wonder how long after September 11th the film industry buffs waited to start bidding on the movie rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home