Sunday, April 02, 2006

All These Old People Are Trying To Steal My Idea!

Alison and Aeolan came up with this great idea.

“Nikki, you should get a blog.”

But then they realized how great their idea was and tried to steal it from me! Of all the nerve!

My name is Nicole, this is my blog that I took from Aelon and Alison who tried to steal it from me even though they came up with it. Thanks guys. The Nikki_Jilton screen name was also their clever idea to rope-in sloppy-typers on google (hehehe). My deal is that I have no deal. I’m a first year college student trying to figure out the world just like the rest of the matrix. You know those questionnaires in high school where you’re asked to write three words that best describe you? My answer was always “Something Else Entirely.” My life is irony and my political views are just as much so. Despite coming from a moderately conservative family, I just can’t seem to place my loyalties in any one political party. It is said that if you are young and conservative, you have no heart, and if you are old and liberal, you have no brain. Thanks Mr. Weeks for confusing me even more.

I like to say I’m well versed in politics, growing up in the Los Angeles School District will have that effect on people. During middle and high school, I found myself in and out of the principals’ office with the same charge each time, “defiance.” Defiance in California Schools is defined as anything that disrupts classroom activity. Debating the teacher’s and making them look like idiots in front of their students may or may not fall under this criterion. For example, I had a teacher senior year that came in and immediately began to complain about her pension. Her lecture was about American government and how “the government takes X amount of money out of my paycheck and I only make Y amount of money per year because only Z amount of taxes goes into education and I’m left with XYZ of money at the end of the month. That isn’t fair to teachers.” I remember I raised my hand and calmly said something along the lines of “excuse me, teachers get paid what they’re worth because good ones are able to get jobs at private schools while crappy ones teach high school because they couldn’t make it in their professions. I came here to learn government, not to listen to some union-rat complain about her pension.” Yeah, that was pretty bad. Turns out it was also wrong, but the general idea is that education in America is so FUBAR (for those of you who’ve seen Saving Private Ryan) that no one knows what’s going on. I thought I had a few ideas, so I started writing them down.

The experiences I had in the public education system shaped my views of society. If you think about it, society begins in the public schools, and could the fact that our schools are so problematic have any connection to the problems we are having in society? I’m not sure, but one thing I am sure about is that my experience didn’t have to be as “problematic” as it was. I was a student-athlete, scored 100% on the College English Placement Exam my freshman year of high school when senior AP English students had trouble scoring a 90 yet I didn't graduate, played 6 sports and hold the unofficial record in one but never made a varsity team because I don’t know how to play politics, was the only girl on my football team and shaved my head for hell-week, wrestled for 2 years on the boys team and got screwed out of a varsity spot because of discrepancies in course eligibility, got thrown out of more social clubs, sports teams, classes, and IEP meetings than a convict gets thrown in jail, and I'd probably be in jail right now if it weren't for some really really really patient people at my local YMCA. I’ve been around, I know a thing or two about injustice, and it really sucks thinking about it sometimes. That’s where the name of this blog plays in.

”I’m Not Bitter BUT…” also Alison’s idea. Implying that I’ve moved on from the past, but that it still sucks.

Now that I’m out of High School, no one can send me to the principals office for saying something that some else doesn’t like. No one can tell me what to think and what not to think, I can think for myself. This is my little jump for joy in the big bad world, my freedom of expression. Hopefully I have something to contribute, and haven’t just been being a discipline problem all these years. Feel free to tell me what you think of me now. Lets set this roof on fire!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raven Calister said...

Don't worry, the one on public schools is coming soon. Right now I just pretty much bashed it and it'll probably offend some of my teacher friends. I'll post on the issue soon.

And Molly, Wheel of Fortune is cool gurl, don't worry!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Raven Calister said...

What we need is a cure for WRITERS BLOCK!!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Raven Calister said...

If anyone could tell me how to put pictures on blogger I'd appreciate it. :)

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home